Saturday, September 5, 2009

Second Life

My Avatar is Ruby Bestijl and I am very trendy. I enjoyed creating my character, but I can tell this virtual environment will not suit my real life personality, but I will give it the designated hour and report back.

I had no trouble downloading Second Life, bandwidth was fine. I had to change my display settings, but that is easily done.

Now that I have had time to think about Second Life, I will make a few comments about why this type of online community is not for me at the moment. For starters just like in the real world you need time to establish relationship in a virtual world and at the moment I don't have time to make new friends in any world. I just like keeping in touch with people I know with brief text messages, commenting on my wall or some friends wall in Facebook or twitter. Maybe one day I will have time to jump into a different me and play in an imaginary place doing things that are only possible in a virtual place.

I know when my children were teenagers they enjoyed being part of virtual games both online and offline. The thing they had in their favour was time to immerse themselves into learning how to get along in these worlds.

Learning all new aspects of technology takes time and as a busy person I have to choose to immerse myself into learning the things that will directly assist me with my life and work, other things have to wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment