Sunday, October 25, 2009

8.2 An interview with myself.

Why did I select this subject as part of my Post Graduate Certificate ITC Education?
I had wanted to investigate online social networks for quite a while, but other priorities always got in the way. There is nothing like a uni course and the thought of failure to change my priorities. I also was quite amazed that the course outline meant very little to me, which I interpreted as “I need to know a lot more about this area of IT”.

What have been the positive aspects of the course?
I have ‘learnt by doing’, which is a great way to learn. I have really enjoyed getting onto the various online community spaces and testing them out. I found that there are similarities between sites and that once you have mastered chat in one place you can chat when it is offered at other sites. I have also learnt that the various aspects of usability play an important part to the success of a website or online community site.

I have created a blog, got started with Twitter , chatted on Etherpad, CSU Interact, LC Moo, and Skype. I’m now very enthusiastic about Moodle, talked face to face on Skype and worked on Ning with my pod.

What have been the negative aspects of the course?
I have struggled with writing the mini essays of around 250 words, I have found the questions are fairly complex and I feel the 250 word limit doesn’t allow for a smooth flowing essay that includes an introduction and conclusion.
It has been difficult at times to get to our group sessions on Wednesday evenings, but it is mostly only a matter of organisation and I have been able to get their most weeks.

How will I integrate the use of online communities into my teaching?
The first thing I have done is got on board with a group of teachers who have a high interest in IT and become part of a Twitter group of teachers who are happy to help each other out professionally.

The next thing I want to do is set up a blog for the students at school and I will be using Moodle next year (when I will have more time, due to no uni study) to set up a unit of work for my students.

What I am finding now when issues are being discussed in regards to teaching or professional development I am now able to consider if an online network could be useful to our needs and which one would be best.

No comments:

Post a Comment